Current Job Opportunities at First Church
First Church Berkeley UCC, a progressive, inclusive spiritual community, is recruiting a Director of Operations to join our small, collaborative staff team supporting the congregation in its work to have a positive impact on our local and global community.
In this role, you'll manage the financial, logistical, and property management functions of the church. This includes supervising the bookkeeper, events coordinator, facilities staff, and events hosts, managing our finances by generating reports and supporting the congregation's budgeting process, working with our treasurer and bookkeeper to ensure smooth fiscal operations, supporting and growing our rental business to facilitate our mission, managing our property needs, and serving as the HR lead. Although experience in finance, property management, supervision, and customer service would be ideal, more important to us is that you are people-oriented, highly self-motivated, a quick problem-solver, and eager to get to know all the details of our organization. As a nonprofit supported partly by donors and partly by rental income, we need a Director of Operations who asks a lot of questions and is highly organized. More important than experience to us is fit and readiness to join our close-knit staff team.
Essential duties include:
- Manage the church's financial operations, including working with staff, members, banks and financial institutions to prepare, control, and report on the operating budget.
- Supervise and delegate risk management responsibilities and legal responses.
- Manage ongoing leases and develop leads for new ones.
- Attend weekly staff meetings (daytime) and monthly committee and council meetings (two evenings a month)
- Manage all aspects of our property, including janitorial, landscaping, repair, and capital budgets.
- Work with pastors and leaders to support stewardship and giving campaigns.
- Administer basic personnel functions
- Oversee office function including supplies and equipment
Intrigued and ready to join this team? Please send a brief cover letter and resume to Minister for Beloved Community, Rev. Dr. Kelly Colwell, at [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This is a full-time, benefitted role with a salary range of $72,651.00 - $76,881.00 per year. Work is primarily in person during the work week, but requires 1-2 Sundays a month and 2-3 evening meetings per month, primarily remote format.
Emerging Music Ministry Leader
First Church Berkeley UCC, a progressive, welcoming community, is recruiting an Emerging Music Ministry Leader to work in partnership with the Director of Music to plan, select and lead music at worship services and church events.
Essential duties include:
- selecting, coordinating and leading music at select worship services and church events, approximately once every four to six weeks;
- coordinating and leading rehearsals, as needed, for selected music;
- other duties as assigned
This is an independent contractor position that requires:
- a familiarity with, and desire to, explore contemporary progressive Christian worship music;
- the ability and desire to encourage the musical talents of community members;
- a proven ability to recruit volunteers and to work collegially with them and church staff
- strong communication skills.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send a brief cover letter and resume to Director of Music, Derek Tam, at [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Candidates will be paid a competitive per-set fee, depending on qualifications and experience.