by Robin Kempster, Parish Nurse
Change is all around us, both as a community and as individuals. Change is coming to me as I am moving on from my role at church as the chair of the Mental Health Ministry. As a Parish Nurse, I have chosen the development of this ministry as my focus for the past eight years. My last day in the role of the Mental Health Ministry chair will be on December 31. (I will, however, continue in my role as Parish Nurse.)
Some of the highlights of our Mental Health Ministry have included:
• Mental Health book study
• Regular inclusion and commitment to a Confidentiality Statement
• Forums – educational presentations on a wide variety of subjects around mental health
• Mental Health Spiritual Support Group
• Companionship: A Ministry of Presence
• Mental Health Sunday, a yearly focus throughout the UCC
• Mental Health Lending Library
• Sponsoring a Mental Health First Aid training
• Developing a Mental Health Community Resource List
• Becoming a Welcoming, Inclusive, Supportive, and Engaged (WISE) Congregation for Mental Health
The Mental Health Ministry will continue with a new Steering Committee: Cathie Winks, Charlotte Russell, and Helen Walsh, with Rev. Kelly Colwell as the clergy liaison. If you have questions or are interested in becoming part of this ministry, please contact members of the Steering Committee or Rev. Kelly. The next monthly Zoom meeting will be on Thurs., Jan. 6, 2022, at 5 pm. All are welcome to attend.
Thank you, everyone, for your support and encouragement over the past years.